Beep notifications in multi-attach mode

From: Michael C. Toren
Subject: Beep notifications in multi-attach mode
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 13:59:25 -0700

Hi,

I've grown fond of using multi-attach (multi-display?) mode ("screen -x")
to display two different windows on two different xterms.  One drawback,
though, is that if I'm typing in one window and cause a beep, a beep
notification is also displayed in the other xterm.  The notification will
also go unacknowledged, and show up in "c-a w" with a "!" character, until
a different screen instance flips back to that window -- even though that
window is currently being displayed.

Is there a way I can configure screen such that if a beep is observed in a
window that is currently being displayed in *any* attached screen, the beep
notification will be suppressed entirely?

I'm running the version of screen in the Debian stable release, which
"screen -v" reports as "Screen version 4.01.00devel (GNU) 2-May-06"

Thanks!

-mct