Re: Several queries

From: Jostein Berntsen
Subject: Re: Several queries
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2017 21:04:58 +0200

On 02.10.17,16:09, Manas Thakur wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have started using GNU screen recently (because I like the screen model of
> windows more than that of tmux, which I was using earlier), and have a bunch
> of queries that I couldn’t resolve:
>
> 1. I am using iTerm2 on macOS, with TERM as xterm-256color in my bashrc. I am
> not able to use mouse-scroll. I added "termcapinfo xterm* ti@:address@hidden
> to my .screenrc, but it doesn’t work.

You can also try to put this in your .screenrc:

etenv TERM screen shell -$SHELL
shell -bash
activity "Activity in %t(%n)"

attrcolor b ".I"    # allow bold colors - necessary for some reason
termcapinfo xterm 'Co#256:AB=\E[48;5;%dm:AF=\E[38;5;%dm'   # tell screen how to
set colors. AB = background, AF=foreground
defbce on    # use current bg color for erased chars
terminfo xterm* ti=:te=
term screen

> 2. Many times when I run a long-output-generating script, suddenly
> some garbage output gets pasted onto my terminal even after I have
> CTRL-C’ed the command (either within vim or in the shell prompt
> itself). A CTRL-L solves the issue, though.

Does your script send some of the screen's paste commands?

> 3. Coming from tmux, miss the feature where I could zoom onto a tmux-pane and
> unzoom back after some moments. Is there I way I could expand a splitted
> region to occupy the whole width/height temporarily and un-expand it back so
> that the existing splits/regions stay back?

You can use "layout" and "resize" for this. Some good tips here:

https://superuser.com/questions/687348/how-to-persist-gnu-screen-layout-after-restart

> 4. When I close a full-region command, say vim or top, even with ‘altscreen
> on’, the prompt jumps to the bottom of the terminal (though altscreen is
> serving its purpose of clearing the screen above the prompt). Is thee a way
> the prompt stays back at the place from which the command started? I remember
> I did not see this problem on some older version of screen on a friend’s
> system.

Ref. to the termcap setting above.

> 5. Is there a subreddit for gnu-screen? I couldn’t find one. I would be glad
> to create and manage one if you people are interested.

A new GNU screen forum at reddit would be nice. :)