Re: Windowlist menu customization

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: Windowlist menu customization
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 17:59:29 -0400

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 02:48:53AM EDT, Amadeusz Sławiński wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 17:45:03 -0400
> Chris Jones <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 02:26:12PM EDT, Amadeusz Sławiński wrote:
> > > On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 12:38:48 -0400
> > > Chris Jones <address@hidden> wrote:
> > >
> > [...]

> OK, I think I may be bit confused about what you are trying to do here.
> If you want to set title based on what you just started in shell it's
> possible right now...
> http://web.mit.edu/gnu/doc/html/screen_9.html#SEC37
> http://aperiodic.net/screen/title_examples
> or just search for "gnu screen set window title bash" (or some other
> shell)

I run GNU/screen full screen with no title bar, etc. on a terminal with
97 $LINES and 318 $COLUMNS (1920x1200 pixels).

When I hit CTRL+a" I see a couple of columns on the left hand side of
the screen with 1-2 characters in each (my titles are statically defined
in my .screenrc and they're one upper-case letter each - R for
root/admin shell, S for user shell, W for www/Elinks, M fur mail/mutt,
I for IRC..) and one column at the far right with the windows flag (set
to $ in most cases).

Basically these 97*318 terminal shells do not provide any useful
information, since I already have the same in my hardstatus line.

Now e.g. I have to go to the bathroom and on the way back to my desk
I run into this female co-worker I have carefully been trying to avoid
for a week or so and she starts breaking my balls with some
documentation issue I have zero interest in. When I do get back to my
desk I have pretty much lost track of what I was doing.

One thing that might help me get back on track would be to be able to
see at a glance what's running in each of my 20 screen windows.

This should require hitting one single keystroke or key combo and
everything should be nicely displayed in a tabular form.

That's why I initially thought the windowlist screen might meet my
requirements.

Considering it covers the entire screen and has two dimensions (lines
x columns) it looks a much better place to provide an overview of the
contents of each window of a screen session than either the
hardstatus/caption line or the 'CTRL+a w' message?

Even if I am not using GNU/screen the way I should (I use it more as
a kind of window manager than a terminal mulitplexer) I do believe that
one important feature that is not currently provided but rather worked
around by the window title tricks you mention above is a screen that
provides the user with a legible overview of what's going on in a given
screen session.

Obviously if I felt that strongly about this issue... nothing should
stop me from downloading the source code and patching it to suit my
requirements. ;)

Thanks,

CJ