sed-devel

Re: [sed-devel] build feedback for sed-4.2.2.177-a348

From: Nelson H. F. Beebe
Subject: Re: [sed-devel] build feedback for sed-4.2.2.177-a348
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 17:29:13 -0700

>> These two are actual sed failures - can you provide more details about the
>> "borel" system?

borel is a Sun Blade 1500 (1 2GHz Intel Core-2, 8GB RAM) running
Oracle Solaris 11.3.  It is on a maintenance contract, and is kept
up-to-date with the latest Solaris patches, so it is as leading-edge
Solaris as we can get.  Oracle is known to be working on Solaris 12
internally, but doesn't announce a timeline for it.

>> musl-libc implements only UTF-8, and returns values gnulib does not expect.

MUSL is definitely an outlier in the GNU/Linux world, but more
distributions are switching to it (see

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musl

).  Its memory model poses problems for both emacs and tcsh.  Still,
it is a ground-up redesign of -lc with the intent of being both
memory-compact, and POSIX compliant, so we should definitely try to
make most GNUware work on MUSL-based distributions.

- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB    Internet e-mail: address@hidden  -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       address@hidden  address@hidden -