self-platform-dev

Re: [Self-platform-dev] Fwd: [bug #22391] Anonymous users can't edit LOs

From: Dinesh Joshi
Subject: Re: [Self-platform-dev] Fwd: [bug #22391] Anonymous users can't edit LOs
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 00:34:50 +0530

On 3/22/08, Nagarjuna G. <address@hidden> wrote:
>  Follow-up Comment #3, bug #22391 (project self-platform):
>
>  if there are two or more people working behind a firewall, or using a proxy
>  to obtain Internet, SELF Platform will see only a single IP. Cookies will
> be
>  different even in this case.
>
>  Without uploading it is not possible to import a course, for import is done
>  from a filemanager.  This is what we have implemented in the selfApp.

Tying the users to an IP or rather the changes to a particular IP is
as good as not storing anything. The only use of logging IPs is when
anonymous users are allowed to edit LOs. For example, a spammer
creates spam articles and you'd want to ban that IP.

Captchas are a good security measure but are vulnerable these days.
Besides, anonymous edits dont serve a good purpose. If you're thinking
of making it easy for people to quickly edit LOs then why not
authenticate against an OpenID account ( see: www.openid.net )?