self-platform-dev

[Self-platform-dev] Re: [bug #22391] Anonymous users can't edit LOs

From: Nagarjuna
Subject: [Self-platform-dev] Re: [bug #22391] Anonymous users can't edit LOs
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 23:43:29 +0530

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 02:47:34PM +0000, Federico Heinz wrote:

> Follow-up Comment #4, bug #22391 (project self-platform):
>
> As I mentioned to Dinesh, the IP address is not a good solution, it's just
> better than no solution. But you are right that a hash of the cookie may be a
> better solution yet.
>
> As to having to upload the file in order to import it, is this just a
> temporary implementation detail, or a fundamental design decision?
>
> I don't think it's the way most users would expect it to work, and it
> certainly isn't the easiest way. Importing a SCORM file should be a simple
> matter of sending it to the seerver for import in a single operation triggered
> by a single form. Otherwise, the process involves too many steps:
>
> 1) upload the file
> 2) import the uploaded file
> 3) delete the uploaded file
>
> This is too complicated, uncalled for, and brings with it the problem that
> most users will likely forget to perform step 3, which will leave us with a
> server full of large SCORM objects we cannot delete.
>
> I guess I should open another ticket for this one?

The filemanager specs send by wouter some time in Nov specifies that
import happens from the filemanager.

1. when we uplaod a file, the file gets an id, based on its md5sum.  this
is to prevent another person uploading the same file.

2. when a person tries to import an already imported file, the system
raises an error saying it is already imported.

These checks are possible because we have one single gateway of how
resources getinto the system.  i suggest let us keep it this way, and
not change it.

these issues were clearer in both wouter's specs, as well as Niyam's
drawings which were based on the specs.

Unless there is some mistake in what we are doing now, let us not do
back and forth.  we simply do not have time for changing the specs so
fast.  when SELF project becomes an open project and we have no
immediate deadlines to meet, we can have more open discussion and
implement accordingly.

Meanwhile, what we can do possibly is to prevent filemanager for users
who are not authenticated.  so that they also will not be able to
import.  may be this is an incentive, motivating people to join the
platform sooner than later.

Also, asking users to login to make changes in the system, is not
asking too much.  Currently wikipedia also requires login to make
changes.  Any idea why they changed the policy?

Nagarjuna