[Simulavr-devel] [wip] vdev and mem rewrite

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [Simulavr-devel] [wip] vdev and mem rewrite
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:38:15 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

Attached is what I've been working for the last two weeks. It's still a work
in progress, but as it stands it passes the regression tests with no
failures and runs the deep_frame.c test program (for what that's worth). The
deep_frame.c test program also runs quite a bit faster than before the
rewrite (without the port io write line though, see the patch). I would
expect to see even more improvement speed wise with programs that make
heavier use of IO registers (e.g. timers) since deep_frame.c was really only
exercising call/ret and sram.

I've almost completely rewritten the device initialization code (devsupp.c
looks very different again) and the Memory structure is no longer a linked
list of vdevs but an array of memory cells. There's still a lot of work to
be done tweaking all the vdevs to fit into the new system but I think it
should be fairly straight forward. Don't expect much to work in IO space
right now though.

In the long run, I'm hoping that all this will makes things faster and more
fexible (vdevs should now be installable at non-continuous addresses).

I'm not planning on committing this until it's a bit further along. Also,
once the download areas are back up on savannah, I'm going to make a release
of what's sitting in cvs right now. I should probably make a branch for the
release so I can start committing to head again.

Ted Roth