Re: [Simulavr-devel] SimulAVR + simulated hardware

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] SimulAVR + simulated hardware
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:31:11 -0700

On 15 Jan 2004 at 0:49, Bill wrote:

> Well, I cna't 'help myself...I'll add my  "me too" non-vote (who's
> counting the votes after all? ;-) on this one.
>
> I'm swamped learning all the tools I feel I'll need to do what I want
> and cannot see myself contributing code to simulavr as it stands
> becuase it really doesn't have a solid object-modelyet. There are many
> pieces that are pretty well coded and modular, but there are enough
> things that strike me as truly bizarre(sometimes unnecessary,
> sometimes inefficient, inflexible or error-prone in ways that have
> well understood solutions). If the C-code were at least object-based
> (i.e. opaque data types, structure members manipulated via accessor
> functions that are not considered "private" to a given "object") I
> might be more willing to try to understand the code and contribute
> directly. As it stands now, I'm more interested in the API of how to
> interface simulavr to the outside world...i.e. so that simulavr might
> be able to talk to my simulation and perhaps even hook up to a SID
> simiulation. But then again, I'm also baffled by some of TR's
> statments....maybe I'm just not savvy enough to "get it"...Why in the
> world would he not use CVS to distribute his work in progress? Doesn't
> CVS support tags and branches? I know tags are supported, which would
> be enough to cover here...but I digress...he is managing as he sees
> fit and it's easy to armchair-quarterback these things...

In Ted's defense:

1. He does use CVS, religiously. Remember that Savannah has been down and is
not totally back up. Ted's also working on some major changes right now.

2. IIRC, Ted's not as familiar with C++ as he is with C, but I could be very
wrong on this.

3. Ted's also a pretty busy guy. He's admin and contributor for the following
projects: avr-libc, simulavr, avarice, uisp, and avrdude. He's also the author
of the AVR port of GDB. He has a day job, and a girlfriend! There's only so
much time in his day!

-----
I don't mean this to sound bad, but as with all open source projects, it's "put
your money where your mouth is". In other words, if you feel that simulavr
would greatly benefit from C++ then by all means re-architecture it. If you can
get it working better and put in features faster than Ted, et al. can, then I'm
sure that Ted's a reasonable guy and he might very well change over.

My 2 cents. I'm sure Ted'll chime in. :)

Eric