Re: [Simulavr-devel] Windows port of simulavrxx

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Windows port of simulavrxx
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:28:19 -0600

Bill wrote:

right...a bit off topic I suppose.

What I had in mind for Microsoft platforms was to support the "cygwin"
environment. (www.cygwin.com)

Right. That's the first step. Currently simulavr builds under cygwin. (Remember, I put together WinAVR.)

I don't know if it currently builds there. I know of several
shortfalls, but the core simulator might be pretty close already.

I don't know if simulavrxx builds under cygwin or not. There may be a high probability that it will.

If there are specific ideas we need to think about, them please do
share them. Unless the volume goes way up, I don't mind direct email
to support this.

Ideally, it would be good to eventually have a native win32 API port of simulavrxx, similar to what has happened with avrdude. The main reason why this is ideal is because it is difficult to redistribute binaries that are linked to the Cygwin DLL (cygwin1.dll) due to DLL version conflicts (I've discussed this a number of times on multiple lists.)

One of the first things to do is to identify where POSIX calls are being made. A couple of options then could be: 1. Isolate the POSIX calls to their own modules, then win32 modules can be built to provide the same functionality.
2. I recently discovered GNUlib:
Savannah page:
<http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnulib>
Home page:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/>
GNUlib is a portability library which has similarities to libiberty in GCC. (Ted, if you're reading this, I would also suggest this for avarice as well.) The down side is there doesn't seem to be any functionality regarding sockets (which IIRC is needed for simulavr[xx] and avarice?)

Eric