Re: [Simulavr-devel] SimulAVR Compilation Problem

From: Bill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] SimulAVR Compilation Problem
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:07:56 -0500

Paul Schlie wrote:

From: Bill <address@hidden>

That was only the second question... I'm not familiar with GNU standards
that much. Are there resources you can point me to to support the notion
that putting these generated files in CVS is standard practice? Even
though you don't know autotools, this might point me in the direction of
those who do...

Either way, thanks for the note. I don't plan on doing it at the moment,
but I'll keep your comments in mind.

Take a peak at any gnu cvs archive, gcc, gdb, binutils, etc.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/gcc/

Note that the generated configure, etc. scripts are maintained cvs.

Main pages for autoxxx:

http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/

http://sources.redhat.com/automake/
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/

Would guess the mail lists to be the best source of help?

I'll peek at those projects. No promises.

As for the auto tools pages, of course I found those. I search them semiregularly. I have yet to find any resource that describes how to use atuotools well. (yeah, I bought the book on it too...was an ok start, but I find I still have to pour through hundreds of lines of script code to figure things out though! For example, how do we setup for Tcl? Seems the tcl support comes with TCL, but various platforms don't install it? Not sure...just know it's a PIA, and searches have confirmed my opion. Well, that or I only found the posts of other cranky autotools users like me ;-))

Oh well....

I think that's enough on this topic for now. I'd like to ask the list to let me have time to think about it. No generated files in CVS is a pretty strong opinion of mine for quite some time. It'll take a bit for me to warm up to it if it's really a resonable approach.

Can we put this thread on hold please?

Bill