Re: [Simulavr-devel] Re: [avr-chat] Tenfold acceleration of Similar is p

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Re: [avr-chat] Tenfold acceleration of Similar is possible.
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 19:13:34 +0200

Paul Schlie schrieb:

From: "E. Weddington" <address@hidden>
Joerg Wunsch wrote:
"Dmitry K." <address@hidden> wrote:

In result speed of simulation increase:

 Computer #1:   7.54 --> 3.01 sec
 Computer #2:  18.28 --> 1.51 sec
Impressing -- but simulavr is a dead end.  Only simulavrxx is
maintained anymore.
It's not completely a dead end on Windows. SimulAVR builds for Windows;
it's unknown if simulavrxx builds for Windows.

Also, according to Björn (CC'd), it's the only known simulator that will
run the GCC test suite. So if there's a patch that will speed up
execution of the latest release of simulavr, I'm open to it. Even if it
is unmaintained in the long term.

- I'm sure a patch which speeds up simulavr by this much would be greatly
 appreciated by all those who do rely on it (for whatever reason); and
 although the tool is technically without an active maintainer, I suspect
 that someone with cvs access to the sources might even consider patching
 them as a favor after being able confirm that the patch doesn't introduce
 any undesirable functional regressions. (Possibly enabled by first posting
 the patch to allow folks to experiment with it, and then posting their
 corresponding findings?)

It is really no problem to patch the CVS.

Could anyone give me an idea what was the sense of the function before it was set to "staticly return 0". If the function is not needed anymore and could be removed also
the calls should be removed.

My problem is that I could not decide that the patch is usefull "in any case". If it is not a overall working solution you also could send the patch to the patch list on savannah. All open patches could be downloaded from all people so it is also a working
solution.

Please give me your ideas over this topic.

Thanks
  Klaus