[Simulavr-devel] (no subject)

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: [Simulavr-devel] (no subject)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 08:09:52 +0100 (MET)

Sorry for the late answer... the mail was written a long
time ago but stored in my mailhost and not send...

> Micah Carrick wrote:
>
>> How difficult is adding a new device to simulavrxx?

I think it is easy to add new devices. All the peripherals are nearly
the same for
most devices. So mega128 is mostly a superset of all other variants and
shrinking
the mega128 to the "new" devices is one of the possible solutions. Some
peripherals share registers with others, so there could be a need to
derivate the
peripherals, but this seems not a big task. This could be done by
splitting the
existing class to a new base and 2 new derived classes which fullfill
the "new" needs.
The registerlayout and the pin configuration is simply done in the
controller class which
you could find as example in the mega128 or the other devices (watch out
for the filenames :-)
If you have problem, please ask!

It would be nice if you could spend some new devices, but please keep in
mind
that sending small!!!! patches is highly recomended. We got patches
which would
add 10 features at once, but the implementation was not correct for all
the parts so we must
drop the patch which is not nice for us and really not nice for the
contributor.
So please clarify all problems before wasting to much time.

At the end: It is really not difficult to add new devices, you have not
to dig through the complete
code for a new device at all. Creating new peripherals is a bid harder,
but also not really a problem :-)
Ok, it is not difficult for me, because I am the bad boy how have done
that thing :-))

You are welcome to add your changes! Please ask for support if needed!!

Regards
   Klaus

--
"Feel free" mit GMX FreeMail!