Re: [Simulavr-devel] Simulavr error

From: Michael N. Moran
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Simulavr error
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:07:26 -0400

Michael Hennebry wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Michael N. Moran wrote:
A reliable familiar way to build simulavrxx. :-)

e.g.
1) unpack (eg tar xzf)
2) configure (./configure)
3) make
4) make install

My problems seem to derive from step  1.5) run autotools.
IIRC having *the* right version of autotools is essential.
I'm pretty sure I didn't, but don't know what to do about it.
Instead I've been using a stripped down make file.

My description above is as a user ... not as a developer.
My (inexperienced) understanding is that only developers
need to play with autotools. Users just use the generated
output during the "configure" step.

As a *long* time *user* of Linux and free software, I can't
remember the last time I had a version problem with
autotools, though I have certainly known of developers
having issues (e.g. GCC) and requiring developers use
a particular (old) version of autotools to generate
configuration information.

Just my experience.

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460

"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
 and we never even know we have the key."
"Already Gone" by Jack Tempchin (recorded by The Eagles)

The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1