Re: [Simulavr-devel] why I hate autotools

From: Thomas Klepp
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] why I hate autotools
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 16:05:07 +0200

Hi Michael,

I've attached src/Makefile.am and the result of
cvs diff -c in the root.

./bootstrap -c didn't help.

./bootstrap -c cleans only a few more files than "make distclean"

I've also attached the result of ./bootstrap .

As your diff.txt shows, your changes on src/Makefile.am should be ok so
far. This changes shouldn't make such problems, which you have with
bootstrap.

As bootstrap.txt (your bootstrap output) showed, it look so, that line 10: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL creates a problem. But, as your diff explained, there are no changes on m4-files and I assume, you havn't changed your installation of libtoolize.

Maybe try this: there must be a directory in simulavr root directory named autom4te.cache. Delete it completely! (aka "rm -rf autom4te.cache") It will be created, if it dosn't exists.

I hope, that helps. (if not, try to make a fresh CVS checkout in another directory and try bootstrap there, so we can decide, if the source of your problem is outside of simulavr directory or into your changes)

Greetings, Thomas