Re: [Simulavr-devel] git

From: Thomas Klepp
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] git
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:23:56 +0100

Hi Michael,

sorry for my late answer, last weeks I had to finish a project, a lot of work.

At first, I think, a good documentation over git is to find at http://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitDocumentation (users gide, manual and tutorial) or http://book.git-scm.com/ (pdf-book, I think, for you it could be helpful to look at chapter 3 Basic usage)

What is a branch? A branch is a branch! ;-) You start at a specified baseline (a bunch of committed files) with your own changes. To separate your changes from trunk, you create a branch. After creating this branch you are free to make any changes. If you now update the trunk (master branch in GIT) and got changes from other, then it's independent from your branch. You can switch between with the checkout command. (possibly you have to move your uncommitted changes to stash and later back) Or you can compare changes, whatelse you want.

Assume, you are finished your changes and wishes to bring back your changes to trunk (aka master branch), then ... you have to merge it! In this case - you want to bring YOUR changes in your branch to master branch - you have to checkout master branch (after committing your changes, of course) and to run merge command. If you have no conflicts, it will start a fast forward merge and that's it, your changes are in master branch. Now you can go back to your branch with checkout and make more changes or delete your branch, if you don't need it any more.

The advantage with your branch is also, you can (but you don't must) hold this branch only on your local box as a private branch. With the example of merge in last paragraph you only have to push up to central repo the changes in master branch, not this one in your local branch to distribute your changes to other. Of course, you CAN also push your development branch, if you want to share this with others.

Hope, this helps, cu, Thomas

address@hidden schrieb:
On Sat Jan 23 12:41 , "address@hidden"  sent:

On Sat Jan 23 12:27 , "address@hidden"  sent:

To git, what is a branch? What is a working tree?
Also merge?

I have a clue about merge now,
but I have yet to see a single .c or .h file from a git repository.
If checkout is supposed to do the trick, I have no idea where it hides the
files.
I am so tired of banging my head against a wall.

The documentation I've read seems to assume that these are things that everyone
knows.