sipwitch-devel

Re: [Sipwitch-devel] Sipwitch Status and Documentation

From: davidg
Subject: Re: [Sipwitch-devel] Sipwitch Status and Documentation
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 17:53:41 +0100

Quoting Haakon Meland Eriksen <address@hidden>:

> After installation, you might benefit from visiting a newer article than the
> one you mentioned, called "GNU SIP Witch configuration" - see link in orange
> box. Here you can download an example configuration file to try in  your own
> network.
>
> I use CSipSimple on my Android devices as clients myself, but since GNU SIP
> Witch uses the open standard SIP to communicate, you should be able to use
> other standard compliant clients as well.

Haakon, you keep telling us this, but I really doubt you can do this. I consider
myself a rather determined person, but I couldn't make sip witch do anything I
wanted to do.  Presence - no, taking phone calls and having both ends have
audio - no, recognizing the correct ip adress for contacts - no.  I tried to do
this over internet, maybe I was crazy, maybe sipwitch doesn't do that.

It's so tricky, because the docs tells me nothing of how sipwitch is supposed to
be used.  It's just a bunch of options thrown at you.  Granted, my knowledge of
SIP could be better, but right now it's just ridiculously hard to get going.

If you are interested in getting people involved with GNU Telephony, I urge you
to make a *complete*, point-by-point, replace-your-domain-names-here kind of
setup guide.  With client setup info.  And please state what sip switch can do
at the moment, not just your ideas of what might happen in the future.

Sincerely,
David

PS: Re-posting since my email client sucks, sorry.