sipwitch-devel

Re: [Sipwitch-devel] WTF it is/does?

From: Haakon Meland Eriksen
Subject: Re: [Sipwitch-devel] WTF it is/does?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 20:44:42 +0100

 Hello, Michal - nice to hear from you!

* What it is and does

GNU SIP Witch lets users communicate using the SIP protocol, which is an open
standard much used for voice or video over the IP protocol.

It is also Free (as in freedom) Software, which means you are free to run it,
look at the recipe, change the recipe if you need to integrate it with
something else, and you are free to share it or your derivate as long as
recipients get the same rights and obligations - see the GNU GPL for details.

It is also available at no cost.

Onsdag 14. mars 2012 19.20.21 skrev Michal Suchanek :
> The project description claims network scalability and Skype
> replacement yet the configuration example shows a home network with
> two users.

No, the description says

"GNU SIP Witch also is being introduced as a desktop VoIP mediation service to
enable the construction of participatory bottom-up secure calling networks and
to enable replacement of Skype with free software and published protocols. ",

and the key words are "to enable" - it is a work in progress.

Suppose your company has fifty employees. It can then use GNU SIP Witch to
create an internal voice or video over IP network, and it - or the employees -
can use any standard SIP client. They can then also text each other
internally. This is very useful in many situations where privacy is important.

I use CSipSimple on Android and Linphone on my Debian GNU/Linux laptop (Debian
6 Squeeze), others prefer Jitsi on their laptops. My Android device is then on
my internal Wi-Fi, and I can get system messages as text messages to my phone.

I hope this cleared up some of the confusion. :-)

If you are interested in meeting other users, why not get a Friendica account
- see www.friendica.com and connect with me afterwards at

http://friendika.gnutelephony.org/profile/haakon

Friendica is a distributed, privacy aware social network, and David has
started making a Sipwitch plugin for it.

Yours sincerely,
Haakon Meland Eriksen