sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Re: pgp.ael.be is back online

From: Jason Harris
Subject: [Sks-devel] Re: pgp.ael.be is back online
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 13:23:29 -0500

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 02:17:20PM +0100, Alexandre Dulaunoy wrote:

> After a long time being down, pgp.ael.be is now back online with sks
> 1.0.9. I would like to renable the link with some gossip partners.
>
> The machine is pgp.ael.be with this new IP : 213.169.96.28

Doh!  :)  http://pgp.srv.ualberta.ca/cgi-bin/sksnet says the following
servers (still) have pgp.ael.be configured as a peer:

  ds.carnet.hr
  keyserver.fabbione.net
  keyserver.noreply.org
  pgp.srv.ualberta.ca
  sks.keyserver.penguin.de

so they should (still) be trying to contact it (and you could at least
configure them by IP like sks.nerdcamp.net (aka gpg-keyserver.de) has:

  http://sks.nerdcamp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=stats

even if you didn't bother to do reverse lookups on the IPs and/or look
at http://213.146.108.162:11371/pks/lookup?op=stats , for example.)

The first one to do so, however, will wind up feeding it many MB of
new data and, worse, asking it for many MB of keys with no new data.
Again, http://pgp.zdv.uni-mainz.de/keyserver/bigbrother/ says it went
offline Tue Jul 6 15:29:31 2004, which was 7 months ago, so it will take
a _long_ time to synchronize if you haven't loaded a fresh keydump first.

--
Jason Harris           |  NIC:  JH329, PGP:  This _is_ PGP-signed, isn't it?
address@hidden _|_ web:  http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/