sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Re: [pgp-keyserver-folk] Dropping non-machine readable ?

From: David Shaw
Subject: [Sks-devel] Re: [pgp-keyserver-folk] Dropping non-machine readable ?
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 01:25:38 -0500

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 12:32:13AM -0500, Jason Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 08:09:59PM -0500, David Shaw wrote:
>
> > Right now, when getting a file listing (for --search-keys), the HKP
> > handler in GnuPG tries to get a machine readable index from the server
> > (options=mr).  If it can, it uses it.  If it can't, then the handler
> > simulates MR by parsing the HTML returned from the server and faking
> > MR internally.  I'd very much like to get rid of this HTML parsing
> > code, as it significantly complicates the HKP handler and makes some
> > other potential changes (libcurl, for one) more difficult.
> >
> > A quick glance at the servers in the subkeys.pgp.net rotation shows
> > that all but one of the servers currently support MR.  Same thing for
> > the wwwkeys.pgp.net rotation (the same server doesn't support MR in
> > both cases).  pgp.mit.edu supports MR.
>
> I don't mind adding it to keyserver.kjsl.com, but I count 4 pks servers
> which would currently be unduly affected.  Also, keyserver.veridis.com
> has made some changes and is once again working with GPG (at least for
> fetching by (short) keyid).

Are those keyservers in subkeys.pgp.net?  I only checked that
rotation.  Since the code change to PKS to implement MR and the "don't
eat keys" fixes went in to PKS around the same time, I have been
working under the assumption that if a PKS server doesn't support MR,
then it also eats keys.  With all due respect to the various operators
of older PKS servers, I'm not that interested in maintaining special
support for servers that eat keys, use the wrong key ID for v4 RSA
keys, or the like.  It's 2005.  Enough is enough.

(Yes, I know that your modified PKS server doesn't eat keys.  How many
servers aside from yours have been so modified?)

SKS never ate keys, and has supported MR for a very long time now.  I
have no concerns with SKS.

I don't know much about the Veridis server, but it just blew up when I
sent my (2 subkey) key to it.

> As well, will this change work for those using the HTTP interface(s) to
> the pgp.com keyserver(s)?  (IINM, you said there was one for keyserver-
> beta, at least.)

No, it won't.  The pgp.com keyservers are LDAP.  keyserver-beta has a
HTTP interface, but it has nothing to do with HKP.