sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] How many is too many?

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] How many is too many?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:10:35 +0100

Ari Trachtenberg wrote, On 01/24/2012 09:13 PM:
> There should not be any significant hit in having more peers
> (within reason), as you will waste relatively few resources syncing
> with peers that have more or less the same keys.   On the other
> hand, having more peers should mean that you spend less time per
> individual sync and that your data will be more up-to-date.

A little digression, but another way to look at the gossiping of the
keyservers is to look at how the various servers are clustered and
trying to avoid single point of failures (SPOF) by having redundancy
in the gossiping between the various clusters instead of
"power-brokers" (as it would be called in economic sociology at least)
 to gap this bridge.

The question of gossip partners, in my opinion, should take this into
effect rather than looking at the pure number, as adding multiple
gossip partners within a single cluster will add little to the overall
network.

While generating the status-information for sks-keyservers.net I
collect data regarding this, that is stored on every update at [1]. As
generating a map based on this is resource-intensive (and doesn't
change too often) I only generate the map (using graphviz) at random
intervals. For the purposes of this discussion I updated it, and it
can be found at [2] ((a) yes, I know it looks like a mess (b) PNG file
is approx 52 MiB). Note that servers that are accessible by multiple
aliases can be shown in multiple locations rather than as a single
server.

[1] http://sks-keyservers.net/status/sks2.dot
[2] http://storage.sks-keyservers.net/map.png

- --
- ----------------------------
Kristian Fiskerstrand
http://www.sumptuouscapital.com
Nihil lacrima citius arescit
Nothing dries more quickly than a tear
This email was digitally signed using the OpenPGP
standard. If you want to read more about this, visit:
http://www.secure-my-email.com
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at http://www.sumptuouscapital.com/pgp/