sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Operational question for all

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Operational question for all
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 23:09:09 -0400

On 2018-03-14 at 01:26 -0400, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
>     First of all the cluster is in a private subnet with no direct
> internet so it gets NAT'd outbound from an IP address that would not
> match the inbound IP address to be used.

Membership tests from your peers would reject this.

>                As I understand it the gossip port (11370/tcp) is not
> HTTP based so it couldn't go through an ALB (application) and would need
> to be pass-thru so that would mean NLB (network) or ELB (classic). The
> HKP port (11371/tcp) could still be ran through any LB but since you can
> only have a container configured to join one LB that would likely mean
> needing to use an ELB so I could perform pass-thru for gossip and
> HTTP/HTTPS for HKP port wheere the NLB would just pass-thru both to the
> container.

Oh eww, I'd missed that ECS containers can only be in one LB.  That's
... horrible.

How about using IPv6 and peering IPv6-only?  As long as you don't set
the v6 gateway to egress-only, and if you set the networking mode to
`awsvpc` then you get ENIs on each task ... though I'm not seeing a way
to attach a persistent ENI to get fixed addresses.

It might be worth considering dynamic DNS which is updated every time
a task is started or stopped, so that you peer with a changing set of
IPv6 addresses?

Or wait to see what Amazon announce in their EKS tech talk on Monday, to
see if their EKS will be flexible enough that a Kubernetes service
definition could be rigged up which lets you use the same IP for inbound
and outbound?

-Phil