sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] SKS apocalypse mitigation

From: Andrew Gallagher
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] SKS apocalypse mitigation
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 13:05:06 +0000

On 23/03/18 11:10, Andrew Gallagher wrote:
> Another effective method that does not require an ongoing management
> process would be to blacklist all image IDs

It occurs to me that this would be more wasteful of bandwidth than
blocking objects by their hash, as the server would have to request the
object contents before deciding whether to keep it or not. This is
assuming that recon is calculated on pure hashes with no type hints (I'm
99% sure this is the case, correct me if I'm wrong).

We could minimise this by maintaining a local cache of the hashes of
already-seen image objects. This would be consulted during recon and
submission in the same way as an externally-sourced blacklist.

--
Andrew Gallagher