sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Implications of GDPR

From: robots.txt fan
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Implications of GDPR
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 11:08:59 -0400

Moritz Wirth wrote:
> Given the fact that it is not possible to delete data from a keyserver

Of course this is possible. You can delete key by using the "sks drop <hash>"
command. Now, if I understand it correctly the key will immediately be re-added
because of gossiping keyservers. However, it would not be impossible to extend
SKS to have a keyserver reject keys from a blacklist that each server admin
would maintain, or possibly gossip. (If this does not exist already.)

I imagine this would be a useful instrument for more use-cases than this one. I
imagine a server admin based in Germany would get in trouble if someone
submitted a key with the user-id "The owner of this server denies the
Holocaust", an action that is illegal in Germany.  The server admin could get
out of the trouble by adding the hash of that key to the blacklist.

I know I am suggesting censorship but it's not like SKS was ever meant to be a
secure or reliable channel.