sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] SKS intermittently stalls with 100% CPU & rate-limiting

From: Pete Stephenson
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] SKS intermittently stalls with 100% CPU & rate-limiting
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 17:46:00 -0700

On 6/16/2018 5:18 PM, Pete Stephenson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My server, ams.sks.heypete.com, has been suffering from periods where
> the amount of CPU used by the sks process goes to 100% for a few minutes
> at a time. During this time, my Apache reverse proxy produces errors of
> the following type (client IP address obfuscated for their privacy):

[snip]

As a follow-up, I set a rate limit on ports 80, 443, and 11371 to 6
requests per 30 second window. The high-speed queries ceased almost
immediately and are being blocked by the firewall (they still continue
making their rapid queries, but SKS doesn't see more than 12 a minute).

More ordinary queries are seemingly not affected: only between one and
three IP addresses are being rate limited.

However, this doesn't seem to resolve the problem: SKS still pegs the
CPU meter at 100% for a minute or so every minute or two, with all
queries hanging until it sorts out what's going on.

--
Pete Stephenson