sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] withdrawal of service: sks.spodhuis.org

From: Andrew Gallagher
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] withdrawal of service: sks.spodhuis.org
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 19:53:01 +0100

Phil,

Sad but not surprised. Thanks for all your time and effort. It has been much
appreciated.

For myself, whippet.andrewg.com has been broken for several weeks now and I’m
not sure I have the heart to go to the effort of restoring it only for it to be
clobbered again. I am reluctant to declare defeat, but this calls for a
tactical retreat and regroup.

I am still willing to help with possible upgrades and/or replacements for the
SKS network. At this point I have come to believe that a minimal network
containing only key material, SBINDs and revocations (no id packets, no third
party sigs) is the absolute maximum functionality we can hope to sustain in the
long term. And for this to be bulletproof, all such material must be
cryptographically verified (otherwise people could just create “random” key
material containing arbitrary data).

Providing search by uid appears to be a lost cause. DNS, WKD and proprietary
services like keybase are probably the only way this can be done without
opening pandora’s box.

Andrew Gallagher