sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] heads-up: another attack tool, using SKS as FS

From: Tom at FlowCrypt
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] heads-up: another attack tool, using SKS as FS
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 03:01:31 +0000

> that would probably be an incomplete mitigation:

Sounds better than no solution!

> -people can use the photo id field instead

Size limit can be enforced.

> -people can use valid e-mail addresses under an own domain ("catch-all")

As long as it can validate, seems fine to me. Better than no verification.

> -your keyserver suddenly can be abused for email spamming

Any online service that allows registrations can be abused for email spamming, if you consider registration emails an "email spam".

--------

Another limitation: you cannot apply the email verification process to the recon algo, because the user would get flooded with verification emails. That means you could have a malicious SKS implementation flooding others with non-verified emails. Again, not perfect, but a good start.

that would probably be an incomplete mitigation:

-people can use the photo id field instead
-people can use valid e-mail addresses under an own domain ("catch-all")
-your keyserver suddenly can be abused for email spamming

Best regards
Tobias Frei