sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Withdrawal of service: ams.sks.heypete.com

From: Pete Stephenson
Subject: [Sks-devel] Withdrawal of service: ams.sks.heypete.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 17:51:27 -0700

On 7/13/2018 10:34 AM, Phil Pennock wrote:
> Folks, with immediate effect, I am withdrawing sks.spodhuis.org from
> service and it will not be returning in its current form.

Hi all,

I'm afraid I must also follow in Phil's footsteps and shut down my
server, ams.sks.heypete.com, effective immediately.

Like Phil, I'm happy to fight jurisdictional overreach and provide
service to the community at large, even in the face of large CPU and
bandwidth demands.

However, the one resource that is a limited commodity on my server is
storage and while I'm perfectly willing to shoulder that cost for the
keyserver-using community, even in the face of some attacks, the recent
storage-wasting attacks are consuming all of my server's storage
capacity (including the extra space I've allocated to compensate). The
excessive consumption of storage is disrupting the server's other
services, which is problematic.

Unfortunately, this is not sustainable for me from a financial or
administrative standpoint and so it is with great regret I must shut
down the server.

I ask that anyone peering with my server (I've BCC'ed the admins of the
servers that peer with my server in this email) please de-peer with my
server.

That said, I will remain subscribed to the list and will be happy to
contribute in any way I can, including being willing to operate a public
server again once things can be made more robust.

Cheers!
-Pete

--
Pete Stephenson