slacktools-dev

Re: [Slacktools-dev] Links to related tools

From: João Ferreira
Subject: Re: [Slacktools-dev] Links to related tools
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 14:37:35 +0100

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 17:54:46 +0100
"sokoot" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all.

Hello :)

> Well, i agree with Paulo's idea of focusing in a main ideia which it would
> be the package manager. That package manager should do the regular things
> like install, remove, etc. but also check for dependencies. I don't know yet
> if it is possible to do that check locally, maybe from the makefiles or
> something, but if it is, we should adopt it instead of a server checking
> thing.

I think you're mixing up things... One thing is to have a packager which reads a
package file and does things with it; other thing is the creation of packages!

For instance, imagine that you have a package called A which depends on B and C
packages.
When you make the package, you need to put the dependencies info in the package
file, obviously. BUT the WAY you do it is irrelevant. You can compile A, create
the package
and insert the information that A depends on B and C using a text editor.

The packager doesn't need to know how the package was created. It just needs to
read the
package file and see what are it's dependencies.

(For example, Slackware guys created makefiles to compile sources and then
create packages...)

So, I think these are the important steps:

1. Define what will the packager support (including server tech info)
2. Create a standard to define the packages (plain text, xml, sgml, whatever)
3. Create the packager based on the created standard and the features defined
in 1

After these steps, then, we can, for instance, create tools to create packages
for our
packager reading the Makefile. The problem with Makefiles is that there's no
standard for
writing them, but we can still try to write a parser. But that's after those
three steps, i think :)

Did I make myself clear? :)

> Oh, of course this package manager should work with tar.gz, bz2.gz,
> etc.

Sure, and in the end we can make converters to other well-known systems, such
as rpm or deb...
But I agree with tar.bz2 ou tar.gz :)

> I really think slackware needs a good package manager.
>
> Hugo

So do I :) And I hope to make a packager distro independent, so that other
distros can
use it. That makes me wonder, do you know if linux standard base project refers
something
to package systems? I'll do some research about it...

Take care []

- - --
João Ferreira               address@hidden
Web page                    http://joao.netcanvas.net