social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] Control own privacy, posted by _others_

From: Jake LeMaster
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Control own privacy, posted by _others_
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 16:22:05 -0500

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Matija Šuklje <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dne ponedeljek 5. aprila 2010 ob 22:14:31 je Jason Self napisal(a):
>> Makes me think of censorship. "They can't say things that involve me
> unless
>>  I approve of it." I don't think GNU Social should go there.
>
> I've thought about that problem as well ..that's why I'm asking for a
> discussion on that matter.
>
> On one hand there's censorship from the person who's involved, on the other
> hand there's his/her privacy.

Needing approval from everyone before the picture can be posted at all
is too much, but allowing the picture to be posted and then optionally
allowing each person involved to approve their individual tag on the
picture before their individual tag is public seems a lot more sane.

Usually when I see someone upset or annoyed with a picture that was
uploaded by someone else on Facebook, they don't seem to be upset that
the picture was uploaded, just that they were tagged in it. So they
untag themselves.

This would seem like a decent compromise anyway. You still won't be
able to stop pictures of yourself from cropping up around you, but
it's not like you can do that off the internet either. At least this
will allow you to control what others see when they specifically
search for photos of you.