social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] Control own privacy, posted by _others_

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Control own privacy, posted by _others_
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 22:34:34 +0200

2010/4/10 Hellekin O. Wolf <address@hidden>
On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:19:57AM +0200, Matija Šuklje wrote:

> I'm all for free speech, but the thing is that legally as well as IRL you
> get a clash of privacy vs. free speech. To put it in legalspeek: "One's
> right extends only as far as another's begins."

*** Putting privacy and free speech in the same pot sounds to me like
a counter-revolutionary attack on both privacy and free speech.  It
seems to say: you cannot have privacy if you have free speech, and you
cannot have free speech if you have privacy.  I wonder when this
dichotomy appeared, but I relate it to the general trends in warfare
speech that says "Either you're with us, or against us" and the
marketing-fascist trend of pushing transparency at all price, "because
you don't have anything to hide."

Free speech in these terms, has become an advertisement for "I can say
anything I want, especially gossip that lifts the dirty veil of
secrecy you maintain about your private life".  The panopticon of
paparazzi.

Privacy is these terms, has become the mark of someone ("un-american")
who doesn't trust the system, and hides from it things that  are
consequently suspicious.

Proponents of PRIVACY VS. FREE SPEECH mix all concepts and flatten
them so as to obtain a thin film of nonsense that can cover and choke
anything below it.

This is a very good point.  I think eben moglen covers a lot of this in his, at time fiery, debate with Tim O'Reilly

http://radar.oreilly.com/2007/08/my-tonguelashing-from-eben-mog.html

Moglen suggests that, at times there is are conflict of rights, which leads to a higher order thinking and level of discussion.

When TRANSPARENCY is used to champion democratic ideas, we're not
talking about TOTAL TRANSPARENCY (that would be fascism), but about
PUBLIC TRANSPARENCY: democratic institutions and representatives
activity *should* be transparent, as in: publicly accountable.  That
works in Sweden, where public finances are indeed public, and people
can check where their tax money go.  That is entirely different from
Big-Brother-ing the neighboorhood with a dense network of spy cameras.

One should remember that the original version of the Panopticon was a
conceptual prison, where prisoners would believe they are under
constant surveillance, hence self-discipline out of fear of
punishment.  I don't know how you feel about it, but since the 1970s
and Foucault, this not only sounds childish and retrograde, but a very
dangerous and fascist way of looking at society.

When designing social software, and thinking about these issues, one
has to be careful with terms and concepts.

==
hk