social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] Existing free and distributed social software - no

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Existing free and distributed social software - now conveniently organized
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 12:18:27 +0200

2010/5/13 Avery M. <address@hidden>
I discovered that our list of social software is the most
comprehensive on the Web, so I thought it would be a good idea to
organize it a little. You can now find the full list of preexisting
projects here:

http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Group:GNU_Social/Project_Comparison

The data I've listed is quite incomplete, so feel free to look around
the project websites and correct the info in the table.

A great start, but looking at:

Commodity webhosting approach

I would not go so far as to say comprehensive.  e.g. Buddypress is there but no Drupal?  I'll clean up and add some entries.

Perhaps it should be ordered relative to how close these are to being distributed net.

In this section it's a toss up between elgg and drupal .imho ... with status.net not far behind.  Personally I think elgg is a stand out choice, and I'm actively working on federation together with the lorea.cc folks and others, which we'll hopefully be able to demo some time soon.  I'm very much hoping this can be compatible with GNU Social.

Just a note to add, I run a basic GLAMP stack on my home PC (ubuntu) connected to an HTTPS apache server for security, connected to an RDF store.  I have used this to create a distributed social network, with other like minded peers on this list.  In actual fact, it's secure, and there's nothing that I am unable to do, and given the top down nature of RDF there's pretty nothing conceptually that I will ever not be able to do (100% freedom).  Some polish is needed in terms of workflow, latency, ease of deployment etc., (in particularl dynamic dns) but I do think that everything GNU social wants to build is already available in a GLAMP stack, if you have a good understanding of HTTPS and know how to configure your system, which I guess is the issue as most people dont.

Avery