social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] Re: [FC-discuss] Diaspora: please hire a secretary

From: Brad Kipfer
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Re: [FC-discuss] Diaspora: please hire a secretary immediately
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 11:29:19 +0900

> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Parker Higgins
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> > I'd guess somebody to handle correspondence with the outside world. (Or at
>> > least, synthesize it to present to the team, accept a condensed response
>> > from the team, and proliferate a more eloquent version.) The success of the
>> > Kickstarter project means that there are almost 5000 people with a
>> > financial
>> > interest in the project in addition to all of the ones who are just
>> > interested... that probably adds up to a lot of questions and general
>> > communication, and I think everybody is in agreement that what the
>> > Diaspora*
>> > guys need to do know is write some code. And now that they've got the money
>> > to hire a person for the summer to just respond to e-mails and whatnot,
>> > they
>> > probably ought to.
>> > Just my two cents, don't want to step on your toes, SJ.
>> > Parker

> I got the opportunity to meet and speak with Shava Nerad (CC'd in case
> she'd like to make a recommendation), previously of the Tor group, who
> helped change and then maintain Tor's image during the time when it
> was getting started and was highly visible in the media. Retaining
> somebody of her intellect and savvy can help a project out a lot while
> simultaneously taking a lot of burden off of active developers and
> hackers.
>
> Between GNU Social, Diaspora*, Free Culture and friends, we have a
> very large number of people fielding questions and developing ideas. I
> think it would serve us all very well to have somebody taking the lead
> in dealing with the media and interested citizens; Diaspora* is in a
> very commanding position to find that person, feed him or her, and
> make the most out of the present situation.
>
> Ryan

Hi,

My name is Brad Kipfer and I just joined this list yesterday.  I've
started a project at Mozilla Drumbeat to rally support and interest for
building a free and open social network.

https://www.drumbeat.org/project/we-need-free-and-open-social-network

Current Facebook privacy concerns and then news of the Diaspora project
have brought a lot of attention to the idea for the moment, but I hope
we can sustain and broaden interest and increase support so more people
get involved in developing this.

I'm thinking that a single central project focused on raising awareness
and support could benefit many different projects engaged in the actual
building of the network.  Perhaps a person like you are talking about
here might be based with such an organization instead of working for a
single development team.

I'm not the person to really get this going, I'm just making the
proposal. :-)

If people here think something like this is a good idea, I'd love your
help.  Otherwise, I'd love to see someone more qualified do something
similar and better!  (If it's happening, please let me know- I think one
such project would be better than multiple ones.)

Ideas, comments, criticism, support (here and at Drumbeat) welcome, no
begged for!

Thanks,

Brad