social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] Would a 'DynHttpd' service be useful?

From: Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Would a 'DynHttpd' service be useful?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 20:05:29 +0200

2010/5/26 Melvin Carvalho <address@hidden>

Yes, that sounds like it would be very useful.

Why would you run out of IP addresses?  I currently use dyndns.org (proprietrly sadly) to redirect to my apache https, but something using free software would be awesome.

No reason anymore, Hellekin just corrected me.

But I am assuming that a single dynhttpd front-end could serve multiple sites, so the number of IPs available to run the front-ends is the issue.  If they run as p2p, where you front for someone else (since you have a routable IP), then you still end up with far fewer front-ends than back-ends, and old-style SSL needs a 1:1 mapping of IPs to domains.  Looks like with Server Name Indication, this isn't a problem, so yay!

--
Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson
address@hidden

Use http://bre.klaki.net/bre/contact.shtml to bypass my spam filters.
.oOo.oOo.   PGP: 02764305, B7A3AB89   .oOo.oOo.