social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] FooPlug -- GNU social on a plug computer

From: Thomas Cort
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] FooPlug -- GNU social on a plug computer
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 08:32:56 -0400

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Alec Muffett <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I live in Gatineau, Québec, Canada, and the Terms of Service for the
>> ISPs in my area prohibit residential/home users from running servers.
>
> See if you can find out what they believe a "server" entails and share
> the results on your blog and/or with this list

Vidéotron's definition of server: "The Customer undertakes to refrain
from using the Internet access to disseminate the data from any type
of server (such as FTP, HTTP, IRC, PROXY, SMTP, POP or others) to the
Internet." Source:
http://www.videotron.com/services/en/service_clientele/8_3.jsp

> ...pile them up and demolish them.
> ...name and shame...

Is that really the best way to open a dialog with an ISP to try to
convince them to change their Terms of Service for us?

-Tom