social-discuss

[Social-discuss] Hello from Turkey

From: Deniz Öğüt
Subject: [Social-discuss] Hello from Turkey
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:03:34 +0300

Hello Dear Friends,

Turkish Linux Users Association (LKD) [1] has created a microblogging site, named Tuxweet [2] on June 2010. At he beginning we decided to use Sharetronix/Blogtronix for some reasons, including it to seem being some kind of Open and Free software. At some point they altered their such licence and we begin to look for another software - a Free and a nice one! We made some searches and made some demo installations. During this process, about three weeks ago, I've visited Freenode #statusnet and #social. A friend with the nickname "mattl" (Matt Lee that was you, right?) helped me by answering my questions, mainly on the relation between Status.net and GNU Social.

Now we decided that GNU Social is OK for us. We'll be more than pleased to become a part a software community which is deeply devoted to Free Software movement. And, if to be frank, we liked the features of the software as well.

Now we are installing GNU Social to our server as a testing step as well, but this is something more than a demo install. We'll try to create the actual Tuxweet conditions, see what we should do for localisation, tests against some possible bugs and we'll migrate.

I'm one of the admins of Tuxweet [3] but I'm not on the "technical side"; I don't know how to code. Most probably I will deal with the Turkish localisation. Our friends in charge of the code -for sure- join the community and I believe that they will have questions and -probably- wishes and -hopefully- contributions. (By the way, is that other list which is said to be a moderated one, for developers or -lets say- for technical staff?)

In this first post I just wanted to say hello and inform you about the situation. Now I'll read the archive to know you better and to see how can I contribute to the collective effort, if I can do in some way.

Best regards,

K. Deniz Ogut
Istanbul, Turkey

[1] http://www.lkd.org.tr/en/welcome/