social-mediagoblin

[Social-mediagoblin] long live 0.0.1! what's next for 0.0.2?

From: will kahn-greene
Subject: [Social-mediagoblin] long live 0.0.1! what's next for 0.0.2?
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 14:35:45 -0400

Hi!

So, we've made it!  We reached April 30th and the v0.0.1 milestone.  If
you check out the 0.0.1 milestone in our issue tracker, you'll note two
things:

1. There weren't many issues in the 0.0.1 milestone.  That's true!  It's
partially because we just started using the issue tracker to track
things and partially because a lot of what went into this milestone was
infrastructure/scaffolding stuff.  We did do a lot of work for 0.0.1
outside of issue-tracking.  It'd be nice to change that for 0.0.2, but
I'm not overly concerned.

2. All the bugs were assigned to Chris, Will, Deb and Matt.  That's only
four people!  It'd be nice to change this for 0.0.2, too.

You can see the roadmap for 0.0.1 here:

http://bugs.foocorp.net/versions/show/1

We've got one for 0.0.2 already:

http://bugs.foocorp.net/versions/show/2

but it needs to be fleshed out.

On IRC, we were discussing how to proceed from here.  We've met our
0.0.1 milestone, we've got a critical mass of code and project
infrastructure, and we've announced to the world that we're here and
we're doing stuff.  I want to keep the momentum going.  I think it's
time to talk about how we keep things going.

I'd like to take a page from the Asheesh book of "How to run a project
that people want to join" and suggest we follow OpenHatch's lead on a
couple of things:

1. monthly milestones

2. regular, frequent discussion about where we're at, what's going on,
and what we should be doing to get to the milestone

OpenHatch has an IRC meeting every Saturday.  That's pretty cool, but I
know I don't have time to run a meeting or be a part of one.  As I look
over the names on IRC, I'm pretty sure we're all in the same boat.

We could discuss milestone planning on the mailing list and codify it in
the issue tracker.  Maybe even have a vision page in the wiki for each
milestone.  This would work for me, allows others to participate and
creates enough of a paper trail to figure out what happened later on
down the road.

How does that sound?  Are you thumbs up (b) or thumbs down (p) on this idea?

Also, what do we want to accomplish for 0.0.2?  Does everyone know what
we accomplished for 0.0.1?  If not, maybe a list of things we just did
is a good place to start.

/will