Re: Milter (spamassassin): to error state : spamassassin milter seems to

From: coffeelover
Subject: Re: Milter (spamassassin): to error state : spamassassin milter seems to randomly fail
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:47:42 -0500

  just wanted to toss in my 2 cents. not a programmer
just an admin/user. Anyhow, am using Redhat 7.3 based
linux box with sendmail built from redhat 8.0 srpm
... 8.12.x sendmail. Normal Redhat Spec build for
redhat 7.x produced sendmail with ipv6 support enabled.
  with this, spamass-milter crashed and died a couple
times or more per day, meanwhile two other servers
based on older redhat 6.2 but using sendmail built from
same srpm was very stable.
 The bottom line is with ipv6 support enabled the milter
crashed very regularly. I have a watchdog script that
checks every 10 minutes. Changing the build to skipping
ipv6 support resulted in the milter being very stable on
redhat 7.3 with the updated sendmail. It really was a
major night and day difference for me.
 The linux kernel was also built with most drivers
compiled in. version is 2.4.20 kernel.org sources. ipv6
is probably not compiled into this kernel so that may
have created the instability. However one server is for
a small campus and stability is my primary concern so
only the basics for that box for now.
-Patrick Main-