Re: Sudden instability

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: Sudden instability
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:56:40 -0500

In the last episode (Jul 08), SG said:
> However, I notice several obvious spams that don't seem to get any
> tagging... Any ideas on what the problem may be? I'll post the headers
> of one (of the many) correctly tagged messages, and then several that
> came through today untagged? Is this a problem w/ SA, the milter, or
> what? I train my SA every day! I would think I'd get some header re:
> Spam.... thanks (lots to follow...),
> SG
> ps this seems to happen while SA is also working catching spam, so
> it's intermittent...

This could be due to spamassassin taking long enough to process the
message that sendmail timed out the milter connection.  Note that the
incorrect samples have no spamassassin headers at all.  If you take a
look at the maillog, check for a "sm-mta[xxx]: Milter: (xxx) timeout"
error followed a few seconds later by a "spamd[xxx]: clean message in
xxx seconds".  Raising the milter timeout values in your sendmail
config file or turning off DNS checks in spamassassin will help here.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden