RE: Way to block exe, pif, scr, and many others.

From: Nate Schindler
Subject: RE: Way to block exe, pif, scr, and many others.
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 11:37:57 -0800

Try searching the apache archive
(http://issues.apache.org/eyebrowse/address@hidden) for "attachment" or
"attachments"

In 2.6x there existed a rule called MICROSOFT_EXECUTABLE that would score
certain file types.  It's been removed in SA 3.x.  To have this functionality
in SA, you need to write the rule yourself.  I think they wanted to thicken the
line between spam filtering and virus filtering.  Antivirus software is much
better for handling attachment policies.

Some milters, including this one I think, won't even send messages over a
certain size to SA because SA is very inefficient with large messages.  So,
depending on your setup, if somebody sends a large executable to your mail
server it may not even be scanned by SA.

Nate