RE: SCL Header?

From: Cassandra Brockett
Subject: RE: SCL Header?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:25:14 -0700

As much as I hate to admit it... I'm a user who runs Exchange behind
SA... But considering I'm doing that to make SURE the Exchange server
has no direct inbound connectivity from outside, which is necessary
given M$'s horrible performance on the security front, I consider it a
necessary evil... And it's mostly because Exchange is a necessary evil
for it's integration (*wishes she could code more as she'd help write a
real replacement for free-software*)...

Considering the number of random options starting to come in for SA
Milter... I'd suggest one primary improvement first - Config file.  Put
together a config file and then make the only majorly used command line
option be the config file location switch (as each different distro
chooses it's own location, but given the way most work if it sat
somewhere in /etc it should never need "moving" but *shrug* I'm sure
someone will want to move it).

That way also only the highly-used commands would need command line
switches, and everything else could sit in the config file.  For
instance in this sort of thing, I'd stick something like --spam-header
on the command line to activate the header itself, but have the config
file list the header in more detail.  That way people can put in the
config file something along the lines of:-
SA_Spam_Header="X-Spam-SCL=%s"

(or whatever, I haven't looked at what Exchange "wants" all that much),
and there could be a list of variables that people could use that would
add the various data to the header.  Then later add another series of
options for the spam scores along the lines of:-
SA_Header_Score_0=-1
SA_Header_Score_9=15

That would make the config more human readable, and when diagnosing mail
problems for users, the simpler it is to understand the configuration,
the easier it becomes... And I'm mega-lazy :-)

Anyhow, that's just my two-cents on the matter, I'd suggest getting the
config file out as the first step as there are many options to the
milter now and while not everyone will want even half the options, those
who do use quite a few options will be breathing easier if they know
they just need to modify the config file from here on and not have to
worry about the command line, or even worse, command line maximum
lengths *twitch*...

--
Cassandra