Re: Configurable reject message?

From: Andrew Daviel
Subject: Re: Configurable reject message?
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 15:57:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 15 May 2010, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:

If I understand it correctly, then spamass-milter is responsible for giving
back "5.7.1 Blocked by Spamassassin" if a message should be rejected after a
scan at the end of a SMTP session.

Is this configurable? Though I usually don't give much about obscurity, I'd
not like to tell others their message was rejected because "XYZ" thinks its
spam.

One of the changes I made here was to change it to a URL explaining why the mail was rejected and how a legitimate sender might otherwise contact us. Not that users seem able to read DSNs.

I'm all for not saying things like "you got the userid right, but the 3rd character in the password is wrong", but I seriously doubt spammers ever see rejection messages from botnets, let alone analyze them. They can of course run SpamAssassin themselves to test their messages.

From the other end of things, having a user come to me and ask why their
mail isn't getting through, I want all the help I can get. Differentiating between over-size, prohibited attachment, infected message and suspected spam is a good step.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada