Encoding of key names

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: Encoding of key names
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 20:47:43 -0700

On Thu, 2007-26-07 at 11:22 +0200, Lukas Loehrer wrote:
> Can I expect key names to be valid utf-8? I read the SSIP docs, and I
> am not sure if latin-1 is also allowed.

Hi Lukas,

the SSIP documentation says that:
--quote--
 The recognized key names are:
      * Any single UTF-8 character, excluding the exceptions defined
        above.
      * Any of the symbolic key names defined in Key Names.
--unquote--

It would also be against the design of SSIP to send data in an encoding
other then UTF-8. Currently however Speech dispatcher is not checking
the content of the messages it passes to the synthesizers, so what you
are experiencing is likely a bug in the client application. (We should
probably reconsider this decision and check for UTF-8 validity of
strings as well as to make sure key names are at least well formatted
and if not, reject them right on input from the client.)

Could you please write more about in what circumstances are you geting
non-UTF input?

Thanks a lot,
Hynek