Orca and Speech Dispatcher

From: Tomas Cerha
Subject: Orca and Speech Dispatcher
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 21:27:55 +0200

M?rian Bruckschen wrote:
>> Did you check, whether the Python interface is installed correctly?
>> What happens when you type 'import speechd' within python interpreter
>> (as described in the mentioned instructions)?
>
> Actually, nothing. Is it wrong?

No, this is correct.  It means that the module is loaded correctly.

> Is this module the problem? How can I fix it?

The problem is that Orca doesn't see the module.  What version of Orca
are you using?  The best is to use latest Orca from SVN.  If that is the
case, it is also possible, that orca runs in a different version of
python, than is your system default (2.4).  In any case, I would try
uncommenting the following line in your ~/.orca/user-settings.py:

#orca.debug.debugLevel = orca.debug.LEVEL_CONFIGURATION

If you remove the hash at the beginning of the line and run orca from
terminal, you should see the debugging messages in the terminal.  When
you then start the preferences dialog, the reason, why orca doesn't see
speech dispatcher should be printed there.

Hope that helps

Tomas