Question about Speech-dispatcher

From: Hermann
Subject: Question about Speech-dispatcher
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 14:26:23 +0100

am So 24. Feb 2008 um 12:47:08 schrieb Jan Buchal <buchal at brailcom.org>:
>     H> I had to compile SD from the source for my Ubuntu laptop, because
>     H> SD 0.6.3tested always crashs when an updatedb was performed in
>     H> the background. Getting the packages from the Hardy branch was
>     H> not possible, because dpkg indicated, that various core packages
>     H> were missing.
> which packages you mean?

Cannot remember all, but the most impaortant was libc6, a core library
for the system. The required version was not available over Gutsy, but I
didn't want to mess around with such crucial components.

>     H> I succeeded in building and setting up SD 0.6.6, although it was
>     H> a lot of work.
> I use gutsy with speech-dispatcher from hardy. Another question is why
> is not possible make speech dispatcher package for gutsy as backport.

I can't answer this question. How did you manage to install 0.6.6 in
Gutsy from Debian packages?

>     H> But one question remains: I had to add a user "speech-dispatcher"
>     H> to my system by using the adduser command. This adds a regular
>     H> user with password, homedir and all privileges of a common user.
>     H> I think this isn't necessary for SD, but I don't know how to add
>     H> a user with less privileges, a kind of shadow user that only
>     H> exists by name. Is this possible, and if so, how can I perform
>     H> this? Hermann
> Yes sure, you can add a new user with different parameters. but I think
> that best way is install from gutsy, then you can remove not purge this
> package and speech-dispatcher user was created by dpkg so you can simply
> install speech dispatcher from compiled version.

I did as you suggested, but user "speech-dispatcher" was gone, so I had
to create a new account for SD.
Which adduser parameters do you mean?
Hermann