SD stutters after updating alsa-utils

From: Alexander E . Patrakov
Subject: SD stutters after updating alsa-utils
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:38:23 +0500

2008/2/27, Hynek Hanke <hanke at brailcom.org>:
> Hermann napsal(a):
>
> > updated alsa-utils this morning. After restart of my machine, SD stutters
>  > when using modules with alsa.
>  > Syllables were cut of and the speech hasitates, e.g. it doesn't speak
>  > fluency anymore.
>  >

> It seems that there is some bug in the latest ALSA. So
>  I think you need to downgrade to the previous versions.
>  It works ok with libasound2, alsa-utils 1.0.15. If that
>  doesn't fix the problem, please write again and attach
>  the output module logfile.

This may also be due to my request to default dmix to the best
available format (i.e., 24- or 32-bit if the card supports it) instead
of S16_LE. This was implemented, but later (after the release of
alsa-lib 1.0.16) found to break too much stuff due to bugs in the
kernel drivers. Coud you please verify whether adding this line to
/etc/asound.conf fixes the issue for you?

defaults.pcm.dmix_format S16_LE

--
Alexander E. Patrakov