questions about spd with ibmtts

From: Jan Buchal
Subject: questions about spd with ibmtts
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 10:47:26 +0200

[....]

    M> Finnally, I've notice that since I activated speech dispatcher in
    M> my system I can use all the audio reproduction programs, I can
    M> listen music without trouble, etc, but I can't listen system
    M> sounds, even when I try to play them in the sound dialog inside
    M> gnome preferences I can't hear absolutely nothing and it doesn't
    M> give any failure.
It depends of you gnome sound configuration. You need set in
system/options/sound all action managed by alsa. Then you need of course
install esound. But I'm not sure if this way works for one channel sound
card.

    M> My system is ubuntu hardy and according to what I've read about
    M> some problems related to pulse and spd, I've activated "mixing"
    M> by software using alsa and putting on
    M> /etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/ibmtts.conf
    M> IbmttsAudioOutputMethod "alsa", I also have in
    M> /etc/default/speech-dispatcher RUN_SPEECHD=yes. I understand that
    M> it isn't the best configuration but when I read about the
    M> problems I didn?t found any answer (I follow this discusion from
    M> the orca list).
Alsa is still best choice. Pulse is now in big progress and we wait that
will be a the new 2.6.25 kernel in Ubuntu because in new version of PA
are big changes which require new kernel features.

--

Jan Buchal
Tel: (00420) 24 24 86 008