Why try to initialize modules with no config file?

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Why try to initialize modules with no config file?
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 15:46:43 +0100

Didier Spaier, le mer. 16 janv. 2019 15:34:10 +0100, a ecrit:
> Wouldn't be better not to try initializing any module but dummy if its
> .conf is not?

We can do that, yes.

> I patched espeak-ng-mbrola-generic.conf
> to set as default the alternate GenericExecuteSynth
> command, as else aplay just output a strident noise.

Well, as mentioned, that prevents from changing the volume.
I'm actually wondering with mbrola is told to use .au format, I guess
in your case (you didn't specify which ao output driver you are using)
The command does not support the .au formation, and we should just use
.wav, which is probably the most supported format.

Samuel