straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] now, thinking about the alternatives...

From: Juri Pakaste
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] now, thinking about the alternatives...
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 18:07:36 +0200

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 12:51, Jan Alonzo wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 20:43, Juri Pakaste wrote:
> > Of course, now that one way of doing categories is almost ready, it's
> > just about the right time to start thinking about the alternatives!
> >
> > Now, I'm not saying the current way of doing things is bad or that the
> > alternatives I'm writing out are necessarily better, it's just something
> > to think about and to discuss.
> >
> > First: is hierarchy really a good idea? Would it be better if we had a
> > number of categories instead, defined by the user in another place, and
> > you could just associate feeds with those, possibly with any number of
> > them?
>
> uhm.. like VFolders and stuff?

I mean you could specify a list of categories (we probably wouldn't do
hierarchical categories in this case, it would get way too complex); in
my case, it would probably be something like Gnome, Lisp, Python, News,
Friends. Then for each feed, you could specify any number of categories;
CLiki Recent Changes would be in the Lisp category, Python Owns Us in
Python and Friends. Then when you selected a category to read, you would
get a list of all the feeds in that category. There would probably be
two categories always, All and Uncategorized.

I'm sort of attracted to this idea, but it is possible that in the end
the plain old category hierarchy is simpler. I'm not sure.

--
[ Juri Pakaste / address@hidden / http://www.iki.fi/juri/ ]