stumpwm-devel

Re: [STUMP] New Manual hosted on stumpwm.github.io

From: David Bjergaard
Subject: Re: [STUMP] New Manual hosted on stumpwm.github.io
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 10:30:48 -0400

Scott Jaderholm <address@hidden> writes:

> But I liked the garish look :(
>
> I thought I'd share a few of my reasons why just so you can be aware.
> I realize these are very subjective and people will disagree about
> them. I'm not trying to argue that I'm right and anyone else should
> agree with me. I'm totally fine with it looking the way you like since
> you've been putting in the work. I can always use my own stylesheet.
> These are just FYIs.
>
> - I like the way links look in the old version. It's obvious what is a
> link and what isn't a link without hovering over the text. Blue and
> purple texts are links. I also like how much clearer it is what links
> you've already visited--they're purple. In your version the contrast
> between visited and not-visited is very slight.
I take your point, and will update the colors. (Though probably not back
to the default colors).

> - I don't like the all caps. I find it harder to read. I find it
> particularly annoying on the table of contents where you want to be
> able to scan the sections quickly and identify which might relate to
> your issue.
Again, I take your point, I was experimenting.
> - I don't like how it's centered and narrow. I often read at 300% zoom
> (when far away from my screen, admittedly not the typical use case)
> and I like how the old one filled the window correctly at varying zoom
> levels. I realize that at 100% zoom with a wide window the old version
> would create very long lines. This didn't bother me, but I can
> understand that it would bother other people.
Unfortunately (unless many others complain) I won't change this one.
> - If there's a way to make Contents be in the same font as TOP and
> INDEX that would be nice :)
The old manual is still up (though outdated and won't be updated). Also,
you can always read the manual from emacs with the info page created.

I don't want to sound pessimistic, I'm very glad for your feedback.

    Dave