stumpwm-devel

Re: [STUMP] Window Manager does not support MWM hints

From: Michael Raskin
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Window Manager does not support MWM hints
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2017 10:54:36 +0100

>On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 07:30:46PM +0100, Michael Raskin wrote:
>> >Depending how I am launching the feh image viewer, I get following
>> >error:
>> >
>> >feh WARNING: Window Manager does not support MWM hints. To get a
>> >borderless window I have to bypass your wm.
>> >
>> >This is happening, when I try to press "q" in feh, to quit the
>> >viewer. Sometimes it works, sometimes not in stumpwm, while in other
>> >window managers it works always.
>>
>> I think in the tiled mode borderless windows are the only option.
>>
>> I have checked in the floating mode, there we probably have an actual
>> lack of feature.
>
>I don't get it. I don't need windows with borders, and I am not sure
>of the technical terminology you use. I just know there is sometimes a
>problem with feh, when I press Q. And I am using -F (full screen)
>option.

Well, technically StumpWM doesn't and cannot meaningfully support the
feature in the default mode, because it is supposed to choose whether
the window is borderless, and in StumpWM there is no choice.

Is the problem just a warning printed or is some behaviour wrong, too?

StumpWM can be asked to behave differently (with window borders and
overlapping windows and such) for a separate virtual workspace (group);
but that's not what you are asking about. In that mode, asking for
a borderless window would make sense. feh still seems to get a true
fullscreen window.